the clockwork angel by cassandra clare

Written by Darlyn At Sunday, January 23, 2011
Title: The Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1)
Author: Cassandra Calre
Published: August 31, 2010
Pages: 479
Rating: 4/5
Source: Borrowed
Buy at: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Summary (Goodreads):

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos. Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world, and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

My Thought:

The truth is, I only read the first book, in Mortal Instruments series, City of Bones. I would probably finish the series regardless of reading the prequels. So, I just start reading the prequels after so much hype about it. It's not deniable that I like the story and it has great setting, which I love England so much. However, I couldn't help to think that the story started with quite similarity with City of Bones. If you read the book and compared with this one, you will know about it. It's the biggest flaw for me when I think that it kind of lost it's originality of the plot. I know it's a prequel but I wish that the plot would at least different and at the same time keeping the familiar elements of the Mortal Instruments.

It maybe started with a flaw indeed, but it changes gradually with better characters with better personalities. The fact that Tessa is not a shadowhunter, but a unique individual really peak my interest and it's very intriguing. Tessa is a lot more confident, brave, loving and sweet. Her ability is quite a mystery and but it become the main elements in the story which I think it's really brilliant. So it has an originality there. As usual, we are readers are torn between two hot guys; Will and Jem. But of course this two boys' relation is brother-like and kind of cute. Will is quite a mysterious and he is very unpredictable. His actions questionable but he loves quotes from famous literary books, take care of Jem, and sometimes act like a jerk. Jem on the other hand has a soft side of him. He tends to comfort Tessa when Tesaa in doubts with Will actions and being really nice to her.

But again, other 'supporting' characters from the book very much alike with City of Bones' characters. I couldn't help of keep comparing the similarity. All in all, I like the book, it presents something great and makes readers hunger for more, and the cliff hanger even made me to has long sigh. It's mysterious, exciting, action-packed and so like "Mortal Instruments". Cassandra Clare fans would have great satisfaction reading this.

12 comments:

  1. This is on my list to read now that I have read another steampunk novel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this before I read the first of the Mortal Instruments. I did enjoy it and loved the steampunk aspect. I am anxious to see what will happen in the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this too. I guess I was really used to the characters of the Mortal Instruments that I really didn't mind if the characters were a bit similar to the ones in Clockwork. Maybe it has to do with them being Shadowhunters? They have a characteristic passed down from mom to child? Kidding. :)

    Great review! I hope you'll read the next one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. I loved The Mortal Instruments series, Jace in particular, so I'm really looking forward to this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you know, I do have the book but have yet read it! Sound like a really fun read though and I am particularly interested to see what is the difference between this book and The Mortal Instrument series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this on my shelf to read but I just have not gotten around to it ~ this will be my first official steampunk book if I can ever pull it off the shelf! great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds fantastic :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't started on the series but I do have the books. Thanks for the review, Darlyn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did enjoy reading this one (which i HAD to buy because i loved the Mortal Instruments series), but I have a terrible feeling that the author is going to match Tessa with Will and I just don't like that at ALL! I ADORED Jem in Clockwork Angel and waiting on pins and needles hoping that Ms. Clare changes from her "tried and true" formula of girl ends up with bad boy. I think Jem deserves a good ending in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It really sounds very similar to the Mortal Instruments series.. even if the MI books are good, it would be more fun with a more original plot for this series!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your blog! Great review-this one's on my TBR pile...

    Have a great week!
    Kristin
    MyBookishWays

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read all the MI books but I really think I'm going to enjoy this new series even more. I LOVE Tessa, Will and Jem and I think Clare's Shadowhunter world works really well in the historical setting! Can't wait for the next book!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! XOXO ;p

 

Once A Bookworm Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gadget Review